Applying for Residential Care for Your Child

Image of little girl representing Presbyterian Children's Homes and Services of Texas and Louisiana - Texas Residential Care for ChildrenThe first step toward applying for residential care for your child is to learn about our services.

Presbyterian Children’s Homes and Services offers two types of residential care:

  • group homes, and
  • foster homes.

All residential programs provide services to children through high school graduation. After children graduate from high school PCHAS staff helps them submit college, trade or technical school applications, apply for financial aid and find housing.

PCHAS professionals believe that the only way we can be successful with your child is for you to be involved in the planning and implementation of your family plan. This plan will be directed by you and should reflect your family member’s wishes for placement.

Please note that for private placement, PCHAS does not take legal custody of any children in care. Private placements are voluntary and can be terminated by the parent, legal guardian or agency.

Application Process

Step 1: Call 800.277.4352 or contact the program location closest to you to find out more about our services.

Step 2: If the initial phone conversation reveals your child is a good fit for one of our programs, a staff member will contact you and assist you as you complete an application form. This form can be obtained electronically or by mail or fax. Please be aware that if you email applications, we cannot ensure confidentiality.  

If your child is not a candidate for our services, our staff will provide referrals to other agencies that may be better equipped to meet the needs of your child. When appropriate, you may be referred to our Child & Family program, which is equipped to support families through in-home service.

Step 3: You and the intake worker will set a date and time for the final intake assessment interview with you and your child at the group home or foster care offices. During the assessment, there will be an in-depth interview and facility tour.

Step 4: After the intake assessment interview, our staff will determine whether or not our program is able to meet your child’s needs. If the decision is to pursue placement, a date and time for admission will be scheduled. Our sliding-scale fee schedule will be discussed and a fee for services determined.

Step 5: Based on your child’s needs, a pre-placement visit may be scheduled prior to admission to help your child feel more comfortable about placement. You will be given a list of all documents required for placement, a clothing list and more specific information about the program. At the time of “sign-in,” you and your child will complete a placement agreement and other documents. “Sign-in” takes approximately two hours.

Things to Know
Parents, legal guardians and others identified by the family as important to success are strongly encouraged to participate in all aspects of the PCHAS residential program. The establishment of youth and family goals is critical for success and must reflect your hopes for your family. Your continual involvement and feedback are critical to the success of your family. When placed in our care, feel free to maintain regular contact with your child by telephone, letters, and personal visits as determined in the individualized service plan.

  • All children and youth placed in PCHAS group homes are required to attend a Presbyterian church for Christian education and worship services on a weekly basis.
  • PCHAS operates on a sliding fee scale, meaning that fees are based on the parent’s or legal guardian’s ability to pay. No child or youth is denied services solely for financial reasons. All parents or legal guardians are expected to pay some fee on a monthly basis.
  • No form of physical punishment is permitted.

PCHAS is licensed by the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services. PCHAS does not take legal custody of any children or youth in care; placements are voluntary and can be terminated by the parent, legal guardian or agency.